How to import your own list of stocks/symbols
Updated on 2011-08-11 08:17:42
There are different ways to import symbols data/information into QuantShare database.
The simplest way is to use the "Import Symbols from a file" tool.
- Get a list of symbols for your favorite market(s) or use the Bloomberg Open Symbology website to download a list of ticker symbols (http://bsym.bloomberg.com/sym/).
- Using the Bloomberg Open Symbology website, you can search by market sector (Equity, Commodity, Currency, Index, Money Market...), asset type (Stocks, Bonds, CDR...), exchange and country. Once you get your list, click on "Excel" to download the list in CSV/Excel format.
- Open QuantShare and select "Symbol" then "Import symbols from a file"
- Click on "Load file" button then select your list of symbols
- Depending on your file format, click on the first row cells and associate each column to a specific symbol field.
Example: Using the list from Bloomberg, I have associated the first column with "fullname" and the second column with "name".
- Click on "Create List"
- Click on "Yes" then type the list name.
- Now, the application will ask you if you want to add symbols within this list to your active/current database. Click yes to complete the process.