Most EOD data services provide quotes that are rounded up to two decimal places. This is usually ok with most of stocks and securities but could be problematic when trading and analyzing penny stocks.
Let us take IBIS stock (Ibis Technology Corporation) for example.
On 03/31/2011, Yahoo, Google and several other data providers reported a close price of $0.01.
On that date, the real close price was equal to $0.0122. The day before, Yahoo & Co, reported the same close price of $0.01. In reality, the close price was $0.013.
If you are a penny stock trader and would like to download EOD quotes that are not rounded up to two decimal places, there is a simple solution: Download data using the following item: US Historical Quotes from NASDAQ website.
- Go to US Historical Quotes from NASDAQ website
- Click on "Download"
- Double click on the downloaded file then click on "Download" in the new application form (In QuantShare Application)
- After you save the item, open it in the download manager (Download -> Download Manager)
To download penny stocks only:
- Add a "Quotes" condition in "Symbols" tab
- Under "Values", select "Close Price"
- Set the interval to 0-1
- Click on "Start Downloading" to save your data and start the downloading process
Note that there is a tab "Set: 5d or 1m..." that allows you to specify the amount of data (timeframe) to download for each penny stock.